The year 2020 brought us many months of waiting. We all had our own desires, something we just couldn't wait to do. Some wanted to dance, some wanted to see. Most just wanted to be.
For us, at Arteq, we were waiting for Seb Vanderbeken and Ranjit Nijjer, the two that make up Wingman, the unbelievably talented, dynamic duo, who for as long as we have been around (a 6 year glimpse), have been major influences in the Arteq journey.
The 26th Arteq podcast is brought to you by Wingman, and okay, you must strap in. Some absolutely elite techno is humming throughout this mix.
One thing we are obsessed with Ranjit & Seb's work is, their concept of 8 channel mixing. Combining elements and soundscapes from many tracks at once, to completely stripped back four to the floor techno.
Fellas, thank you. We are so grateful of the efforts, the quality, and the humility from both of you. This has been a long time coming, though we made it. We look forward to having you both play at an Arteq event soon <3
More from Arteq and Wingman below.
What direction did you take on the podcast?
We decided to start out quite deep and atmospheric so as to ease the listener into the experience while we eased into the experience ourselves. The way we play requires us to ‘sync up’ in more ways than one so coming out of the gates all guns blazing doesn’t always yield the best result. Once we got into a good groove, we allowed the intensity to naturally increase as the podcast went on; but with some dips and turns throughout to keep it interesting.
Why did you decide to go this way?
Years ago when we used to play as Wingman quite regularly, we both played pretty different styles of music to each other and also to what we both play now. Over time, our tastes have organically lined up a lot more, so we both just played the sort of music we’re both into at the moment, while making sure we didn’t put forward anything too complicated so as to overload the mix at any point.
Both of us aren’t really into some of the full-on pounding harder Techno that’s out there these days so we are more than happy to explore more nuanced and deeper sounds (while still building the intensity!).
What did you use to record this mix?
We used two independent Traktor set-ups controlled two four channel S4 controllers. We use the sync function within our own setups but then have to sync to each other by ear. When there’s 6-8 channels going at once, this isn’t always easy! We then go into a Pioneer DJM800 which acts as a bit of a master for us; that we can then use for additional effects, filters and some EQ shaping.
How did Seb Vanderbeken & Ranjit Nijjer end up together?
Initially we met through playing at each other’s events many years ago, but then became closer by working together as part of the local Techno ‘supergroup’ When The Smoke Clears. While we were part of that collective, we both ended up getting into using Traktor around the same time and initially decided to hang out to discuss using this new realm of DJing for us both. Pretty quickly though we floated the idea of trying to sync up our setups to play simultaneously as we’d seen some other people do it and thought it offered a whole new world of challenges and excitement beyond ‘traditional’ vs/b2b sets.
Where did the name Wingman come from?
We’d been playing together for getting close to a year at the start of 2014 but hadn’t really considered choosing a name for what we were doing so as to differentiate it from our own individual sets (and also to differentiate it from a standard vs/b2b set). That January we were playing at a theme camp event hosted by Machine at Rainbow Serpent Festival when someone came up with the idea of a competition to name our act while were playing. At the end of our set the winner was announced, as our good friend Emmymaie, resident from Machine had come up ‘Wingman’, and the rest is history.
There’s 10 minutes left before the world self destructs, what song do you put on?
Caribou – Can’t Do Without You (Extended Mix)
Seb Both Reeko 'Cutting Exercise' as a bass line and kick mixed with Mid layer: 'Love' (Marcel Dettmann's Black Gloves Remix) - at 48 minutes (self promo shame)
What are you most looking forward to in 2021?
Reconnecting with audiences and dancefloors in the real world. Seb
Culture being un-cancelled in the strict meaning of the term.
Is there anything on your mind that you would like to say?
Support your local venues, promoters and DJs! Seb Thank you Arteq for believing in Wingman and make us work together again after a few years without practice, its good to be back.
Track List (Ranjit Nijjer)
1. Luigi Tozzi – Hierophant
2. Forest On Stasys – Neon Portal (Claudio PRC Remix)
3. Evigt Mörker – Kloten
4. Notzing – S gi
5. Luigi Tozzi – Dry Your Eyes
6. Evigt Mörker – Altaret Restes
7. Feral – The Caves
8. Luigi Tozzi – Black Market
9. Feral – Three Faced Queen
10. UBX127 – Localise and Rectify
11. Below Surface – Sunset Simulation
12. Alex.Do – Lauser
13. Seph – Glass
14. Mark Broom – She Doesn’t Like The Collar (Mike Parker Remix)
15. NØRBAK – Occino
16. Museum – Septem F
17. Ground Loop – Chauvet
18. Juan Trujillo – Expander (Augusto Taito Remix)
19. Dyad (Ben Gibson and Fundamental Interaction) – Interface (Takaaki Itoh Remix)
20. H. Paul – Wild Animals
21. Paleman – 2068
22. Tensal – Levia
23. Notzing – Stream Of Consciousness
24. Michal Wolski – Orion Nebula
25. Abstract Division – Patient Zero
26. Lakej – Metacognition
27. Ranjit Nijjer – Observation 2
28. Donato Dozzy – TechTresor
29. Ranjit Nijjer – Ruins
30. Notzing – Transitive/Demarcation
31. Anthony Linell & Adiel – Decoro
32. Oscar Mulero – Dematerialisation
33. Vanoni – Haiken (Kaelan Rework)
34. Ranjit Nijjer – Quasar
Track List Quale: Track List (Qualé)
1. Lyra I (Original Mix) - Claudio PRC, Luigi Tozzi
2. Week 3 (Original Mix) - Svarog
3. Lyra II (Original Mix) - Claudio PRC, Luigi Tozzi
4. The End (Original Mix) - Vakula
5. Indub (Luigi Tozzi Remix) - Bnjmn
6. Oasis (Original Mix) - Petar Dundov
7. Noctilucent (Original Mix) - Joachim Spieth, Reggy Van Oers
8. Typeface (Original Mix) - Shlomi Aber
9. Antimatter (Original Mix) - Butch
10. Latination (Original Mix) - Cherry Bomb
11. Sk30 (Markus Suckut Remix) - dubspeeka
12. Thru Zero (Original Mix) - Cherry Bomb
13. Lacer (Original Mix) - Ejeca
14. Bodily Experiences (Original Mix) - Notzing
15. Control Tool#2 (Original Mix) - Reeko
16. Damras (Original Mix) - A Thousand Details
17. Control Tool#6 (Original Mix) - Reeko
18. Birds on the Head of a Saint (Original Mix) - Peter Van Hoesen
19. A Running Start (Original mix) - DJ Hyperactive
20. Iberia Brothers (Original Mix) - A Thousand Details
21. Not The End But A Change (Original Mix) - Temudo
22. It Will Not Cosume Us (Original Mix) – NØRBAK
23. Lunar (Original Mix) - Keith Carnal
24. A Drift (Original Mix) - Cherry Bomb
Follow Wingman //
Follow Qualé //
Follow Ranjit Nijjer //